Richinbar Mine

Richinbar Mine
Richinbar Mine - Photo from 1940 - Courtesy of Arizona Geologic Survey files

Saturday, March 17, 2012

Photos from the Apache Leap Mining Festival, Superior, Arizona

Here are some photos from my performance at the Apache Leap Mining Festival in Superior on March 10.  The festival included mining skills demonstrations and entertainment from local performers celebrating Arizona's rich heritage.  I was pleased to perform my new song, "Los Mineros", in honor of my special guest, Taffy Tafoya and his family.  The song is inspired by two books written by Mr. Tafoya, "Mother Magma" and "Los Mineros", which describe his successful 38-year career in the San Manuel Mine.  The lyrics of "Los Mineros" pay tribute to the important role of Mexican miners throughout Arizona history:  "My name is Onofre Tafoya.  I worked forty years underground.  Like many who have come before me, Los Mineros will always be found."
Taffy and his wife Allison were joined by family and friends to hear the debut of "Los Mineros". 






No comments:

Post a Comment